End of Life Doula Training
September 2 @ 10:00 am - September 6 @ 5:00 pm€575
A Time To Gather Event
With Alexandra Derwen
A 5 day training, of face to face sessions to embody the role of EOL Doula. Like Birth, we want to bring Death back where it belongs; in the hands and hearts of loved ones, in the home and community, in sacred space. We want to bring back touch, care, love, connection and to uphold the importance of Death as a holy threshold and transition. We seek to reclaim all aspects of caring for the dying, the dead and the bereaved from clinical conditions back into our hearts and everyday lives. When you join this training you also join a community of European Doulas, benefiting from weekly community Zoom calls, where we share in each others process and progress. You dive deeply into the theme in way supports you to restore your natural given ability to be witness and prepare for departures.
What to Expect
This 5 day initial preparation session will cover the following core topics:
• Attending to our own stories of death and grief (self knowledge, self care)
• Sitting with people who are dying (deep listening, cultivating presence)
• Understanding the medical model, the system as it is
• Legalities surrounding death, care of the dead and funerals
• The stages of “end of life” – before, during and after death
• Listening the needs of the person who is dying, advocating for their wishes to be fulfilled
• The importance of creating sacred space, the environment
• The importance of looking at the family and/or community constellation within which this death is happening – working with families and friends to help create that environment of peace
• The transit of the Soul – what is happening to the soul at death (not to be taught but explored)
• Griefwork; for the dying, the carers and for the bereaved
• Voicework; singing to the dying, use of voice in releasing grief and trauma
• The Old Rituals – keening, lamenting, cynhebrwng in wales, wakes in Ireland and Scotland (we will ask you to research your local traditions prior to the weekend)
• Working with the ancestors (you are not spiritually alone)
You can apply to join this training through A Time To Gathers website: Click here to register.
A Time to Gather is hosting Sacred Circle CIC to do this training, a community interest company, not-for-profit group, with Alexandra Derwen as the Facilitator for the training.
Alexandra describes herself as a Birthkeeper, End of Life Doula, Spiritual Counsellor, Ceremonialist, Poet and Champion of the Sacred. Now she can add author to that list, having just released her book Lost Rites: Ceremony & Ritual for Death & Dying through Wysewoman Publishing. You can purchase the book here:https://wysewomenpublishing.co.uk/product/lost-rites-ceremony-ritual-for-death-dying/.
Alexandra will also be joining The Song House Podcast for our July 2021 episode.
You can see more about Alexandra and Time to Gather at sacred-circle.org